Thursday, December 9, 2010

Four years ago today...

Four years ago today, was heart wrenching and undeniably beautiful.  It was the day that hundreds gathered to comfort us and honor an incredible man...of integrity, of wisdom, of strength...and of God. I flew home from Virginia Beach on December 7, 2006...sitting quietly in the plane seat...praying that no one would ask where I was going or what I was doing...So afraid I would break.  I sat by myself and pulled out my notebook and began writing  the following poem.  I hadn't written a poem in a long time, but as it flowed from the Lord, I knew my dad would love it.  I wanted to share it again, to reminisce about my faithful father.  I think he was really blessed (as were we) on that beautiful day, when so many cherished my dad's life right along with family.

My Daddy: What a Man :)
When you see the word gentle - don't be deceived
the tender compassion is not all to see
there is strength, tenacity and comfort therein
and a heart made of gold that never gives in

there is joy in the pain, tears in the fight
there is a strength to behold beyond power and might
this was displayed by a man here today
though his life has been lived, in our lives he will stay

Everyone says his pain is gone, he's whole nad new
and rightfully so, I know that is true
but my dad forgot his pain and condition of his life
the moment he looked into a loved one's eyes

at that moment, it was all about them
what they were doing, how they have been
all he would do was encourage us so
in the midst of his hurt, being with us made him glow

his gentleness, his eyes, his silent strength
held more hope and dignity than any could think
he was more than a husband, father, and friend
he was a brother to all, no matter what they did

he saw victory where we saw despair
he saw truth when we didn't care
at the end of our rope when we were ready to give in
he would calmly embrace the moment at hand

he was different than most; wise beyond his years
humbled and open, desperately yearning to stop our tears
though his would flow at the oddest of times
he began to not fear and not wipe his eyes

day by day though his strength would decrease
the growing man inside would never cease
to the end of this life his love never slowed
this was the man with the heart made of gold

as a husband i've noticed a commitment through time
though the rocky times came, the love never left his eyes
day after day he would say "Jane, you're beautiful,
why don't you believe me when i say i can think of nothing i would want more?"

and the dad in him was stronger than ever
even in his weakest moments - you could never say never
take for instance senior night at my track meet
dad "escaping" from the hospital, he never missed a beat

and with my brother yeah, well that was a different story
their relationship was truly meant for God's glory :)
through the remotes that were thrown and the stinky feet
their's was a relationship all fathers and sons envied

and for my dad as an uncle many tears will be cried
though he was weary, those kids made him smile
he cherished his family more than anyone i've ever known
through his words and encouragement seeds of life in us were sown

i've never entered a home and felt so much love
this man who faced death found his strength from above
always bringing life in perspective, breathing in God's creation
seeing the lord in His simplicity and living through His son

my dad's prayers were calm, yet mighty in heart
a faith that didn't waiver even when our hope fell apart
i am honored to be his daughter, blessed to carry his name
for my daddy showed me a real man, and I will forever be changed.

2 comments:

  1. I remember the great strength you held and the beauty of this day as your Father was honored. Thanks for posting this. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea this had happened...sorry for your loss but am sure you are comforted by wonderful memories.

    ReplyDelete