Saturday, December 18, 2010

My Daddy, the Prayer Warrior...


I was reminded recently about an amazing character trait that my dad embodied.  As I grew older and my dad's illness became more apparent, we began to cling as a family to the only One who gave us hope...Our Savior, Jesus Christ.  That was and still is the most amazing blessing that came out of my daddy's sickness...our strength that we found in the Lord.  We would always pray as a family, before we went to bed, before we left the house...I can remember not even being able to walk out our back door without my dad stopping me in his green recliner, grabbing my hand and saying a prayer for me.  That really struck me the other day as I was thinking about it. I never realized at the time how special that really was.  How amazing that was for my dad, to be taking a stand as a spiritual leader in our house.  And it wasn't like that from the start...just like all of us my dad had to grow into that man of God...through tragedy and triumph, my dad's walk with God continued to steadily grow. 

There was a point in my dad's life when he had been praying for someone or something ( I honestly can't remember what it was)...and my dad saw God answer his very prayer right before his eyes.  That changed my dad.  He saw a new purpose in life.  He had a child-like excitement, knowing that the God of this universe could and would answer his prayers.  I think my dad realized and understood from a very personal place that God heard his prayers.  That Jesus Christ listened to the cry of my dad's heart.  From that moment on, it wouldn't only be the prayers before we left the house or before we went to bed (although that was amazing)...my dad would hear of something, or see something in us...grab our hand, and pray to our Savior who would pour out hope and peace and invite us to bow at the foot of the cross. 

I can remember one night of praying that sincerely changed my heart...where God transformed me, and renewed my hope and faith in Him.  It was the summer of 2006, right before I left for law school.  I sat on the bed with my mom and my dad and just cried.  I was really lonely and yearned for a partner in life.  I had committed myself to God and was extremely blessed by His love relationship, but I really wanted someone in my life, who would become my husband.  I wanted to share journey of life with that person...I wanted to share my tragedies and triumphs with him.  At that moment, my mom and my dad and I all held hands...and my dad begin to pray...He begin to call to Jesus and ask that he would provide a partner...that he would provide a husband to share my life with...I couldn't believe it!! My dad, asking God to bring a mate for me??!!  That was a HUGE step for my dad.  He would have been happy if I stayed at home for the rest of my life.  And my dad knew the power of praying in God's will...He knew that God wouldn't just turn a deaf ear to the cries of our hearts.  And he still prayed that prayer.  He saw my pain, released his fear, and interceded on my behalf...Amazing. 

And less than two months later, I was introduced to the love of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment