Tuesday, November 30, 2010

My Biggest Cheerleader

I have two amazing parents that have supported me and cheered me on my entire life.  I would say that my mom is my biggest supporter, in that she sees no mountain too high or no dream too big for me and God.  She pushes me, by her example and by her encouragement to press forward...to go for it and not look back...and she does everything she can to help me.  She not only allows me, but exhorts me, to step out in faith and follow the path that God has laid out for me...no matter how crazy that path is :).

My dad was my biggest cheerleader.  I could have walked into a door and he would have been proud of me :).  He beamed over me...and it wasn't because I was a great daughter (i mean don't get me wrong ;), jk)it was because I was HIS daughter.  I knew that no matter what I did, my dad would have been proud of me.  He would have preferred that I stayed in Indiana with him, but he knew that I was going to be heading out soon...he didn't stop me- he didn't even try (even though I knew he wanted to)...he cheered me on.  He told me that he knew I could do anything.  That God always protected me.  He told me that I was special. 

I miss him so much...especially in these last four years, when my life has taken some radical turns in crazy directions...I wish that I could hear him cheer me on.  I wish I could hear him say that everything would be just fine. 

When I was thinking about how my dad was my biggest cheerleader, I thought about so many things...like the day he "escaped" from the hospital (left against all of the doctors and nurses wishes) just so he could drive down to my track meet on senior night and walk me out on the field.  Then, he went back to the hospital.  He said he couldn't miss it.  It was just a senior night!

And then I think about the year my dance team lost in the state championship (we were robbed) and he didn't allow it to go down quietly.  My quiet, kind-hearted, gentle dad...threw his water bottle in the Judges' direction and said some not so pretty things.  When I heard the story I couldn't believe it.  My dad, who would have killed for me to be a basketball player, showed up to every dance competition, attended every recital since I was five years old...and he became completely invested in the entire process...because His daughter loved it.

And then I think about the day he dropped me off at the Honor Academy in Texas.  I had turned 18 one month prior and as hard as it was for him to see me leave for the year...he stood by my side the entire time.  I didn't know it until later, but my mom said that my dad wouldn't leave the area for hours.  As much as it pained him to allow me to grow...he did. He cheered me on the whole time.

I am so blessed to have the parents that I have.  And though, it is so hard to know that I won't see my dad until I go meet Jesus myself...I realize that I still have the biggest cheerleader ever (well my mom of course, but I wasn't going in that direction :))...my God.  My heavenly Father.  I realize that no matter what I do...nothing can take his love away from me.  Nothing can diminish it.  He loves me...because I'm His.  He created me.  He cherishes me...no matter the mistakes I make...my God upholds me, forgives me and drenches me in his grace.  Because of the sacrifice of Christ, nothing can separate me from the love of my God ... and the support of my biggest cheerleader.

2 comments:

  1. Kel,

    I tried to post a comment earlier and I don't think it took, so sorry if this is a repeat. But just wanted you to know that Brad was just telling me on Sunday how your dad was your biggest cheerleader. He was saying your dad never missed anything, no matter how far the drive was. :)

    Love the post and love you!
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kel,
    Great post! Thanks for sharing your blog with me! I LOVE hearing stories about your dad! He made me laugh, which scared him. . .so that made me laugh more!
    It is so true that he was a cheerleader for you!! I always admired that about him.Keep writing! It's so fun to remember. I was just thinking about the New Year's eve party when Lily fell asleep on his shoulder when we rang in the New Year, and how sad I was when he wasn't with us for the Christmas play (that the girls were in) because He was already with Jesus. Your mom had mentioned that he was looking forward to it! I miss him too! It's going to be a great reunion!

    ReplyDelete